A major new firmware update was made available overnight for the PS Vita, updating the console to system software v2.60. The update includes a large number of new features and tweaks to make the console even easier to use, including a smoother looking interface, more PlayStation Plus functionality, and privacy settings for Trophies.
Changes in Firmware v2.60:
- It is now easier to access PlayStation Network servers so you can upload or download saved data. To use this feature, a subscription to PlayStation Plus is necessary. Tap (PlayStation Plus) on the LiveArea screen of each game.
Music / Video
- You can now play content saved on a connected device, such as a PS3 system or a computer, without copying the content to your PS Vita. Select the connected device from the list of categories, and then tap the content to play it instantly.
- The Content Manager Assistant for PlayStation on your computer must be updated.
- You can now make detailed adjustments to how closed captions are displayed. During playback, tap the (Options) > [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Display as Specified by Content checkbox to remove the checkmark, and then tap [Advanced Settings] on the screen that is displayed.
- [Bluetooth Settings] has been moved from [Network] settings to the newly added [Devices] settings
- [Show Trophies] has been added under [PlayStation Network] > [Privacy Settings], and you can now adjust the range of who can see information about your earned trophies.
- You can now use the PS Vita system’s buttons to customise the home screen. On the home screen, when you press a button on the PS Vita system, the cursor appears on the screen. To enter edit mode, press the button while the cursor is displayed.
- The method for displaying the menu in PSP Game software and PSOne Classics software has been changed. When a game is running, press and hold the PS button to display the menu.
- You can now adjust for each game whether to show the trophies you earned. Tap (PlayStation Network), and then tap the game you want to adjust settings for. Tap the (Options) > [Privacy Settings] > [Show Trophies for This Game] checkbox to set a checkmark to enable this setting.
- You can now adjust playback settings, such as those for the screen and subtitles, while watching a streaming video on a Web page. Tap (Options) > [Settings] during playback.
- The method for adjusting saved data auto-upload settings has been changed. Settings adjusted on the (Information) screen for each saved data item can now be adjusted with [Select Saved Data] under (Content Manager) > [Start] > (Online Storage) > [Saved Data Auto-Upload]. To use this feature, a subscription to PlayStation Plus is necessary
- You can now adjust network features from the menu that appears when you press and hold the PS button.